Disclaimer: those aren’t cucumbers I’m slicing. I want to share a cucumber side salad recipe with you, but first I want to talk about this. It’s a blueberry-peach cobbler recipe from Cooking Light, and you must make it before summer is over. Especially because the peaches are so delicious right now. I made this for my friend’s Fourth of July party (a little late to post, I know) and it’s amazing. I baked it for the first time four years ago for the Fourth, and maybe I’m not well versed in cobbler, but it made me consider claiming the crisp is my favorite fruit dessert.
The recipe is pretty simple – make your filling (sliced peaches + sugar), then essentially make a blueberry buttermilk cookie dough and spread it on top. Bake for 45 minutes, serve with ice cream – duh – and you’re good to go. I would definitely watch the baking time carefully, as I think mine turned out a little more brown on top than I would have liked.
P.s. I’d suggest using peaches that are ripe, but still firm. These were pretty soft (from the super market, probably before real peak time) and messy to cut. Also peeling soft peaches is a b*itch.
Now on to the cucumbers. You already know I’m healthfully obsessed with my CSA (fresh farm produce delivered to the city every week). Well in July there were crazy cucumbers – more than I knew what to do with. I’m usually pretty boring and toss them in a salad or use them for dipping, but it was time to get creative. I also had dill on hand from the share, and decided to put together a new, cucumber-focused side salad. Try cutting your vegetables another way – in this case, long slices versus round ones – and it’s like you’re eating something new. If you have the time/will, let your cucumbers stand on paper towels for 15-30 minutes so all the extra water comes out and you don’t end up with a wet dressing.
Cucumber Side Salad With Feta & Dill
- 2 large cucumbers
- 3 scallions
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta
- 1 tablespoon dill
- 1 tablespoon mint
- 1 small garlic glove
- 2 teaspoons Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Peel the cucumbers and then cut off both ends, and then cut in half. Slice lengthwise on all four sides of the cucumber until you reach the seeds. Discard the seeds and place the cucumber slices in a large bowl. Slice the white and light green parts of the scallions and add to the bowl, along with the feta.
- In a food processor, add the dill, mint, garlic, yogurt, olive oil, and rice wine vinegar. Pulse until the garlic clove and herbs are chopped up and the ingredients are mixed. Add a dash of salt and few grinds of the pepper mill, and pulse again. Adjust seasonings according to taste.
- Pour the dressing into the bowl with the cucumber mixture. Toss and serve.